This page lists music festivals that may be of interest to recorder players.
See also www.federationoffestivals.org.uk.
The Rest Is Noise
The Rest is Noise is a year-long festival at Southbank Centre. It is inspired by Alex Ross’ book of the same name.
The festival looks at the ideas and individuals that shaped 20th-century music. There are 100 concerts, 150 talks and films and 12 immersive weekends.
The first weekend launched in January looking at 1900 – 1914
For more information see the website.
Brighton Early Music Festival
This year’s festival runs from 24th October – 9th November 2014 and takes the theme of Cities, Musical centres and the journeys between them. Events will include a Polish programme from The Sixteen (31st Oct); Venetian festivities with La Serenissima (24th Oct); and Nine Daies Wonder from The Society of Strange and Ancient Instruments (7th Nov).
‘arguably the best showcase of early music in the country’ Classical Music Magazine
Birmingham International Recorder and Early Music Festival
Held at Birmingham Conservatoire on 1st and 2nd November 2014
See the Poster
Planned events include:
- An international solo competition for young recorder artists aged 18 and under, judged by Susanna Borsch, Louise Bradbury and Chris Orton, with £300 of vouchers in prize money offered by the Early Music Shop, a handmade recorder by Tim Cranmore and Sheet Music from RecorderMail
- A celebratory festival of ensemble playing with non-competitive classes for early music and recorder ensembles of all ages and sizes, adjudicated by Annabel Knight and Katriina Boosey
- Masterclasses for all levels with Annabel Knight and Michelle Holloway
- NYRO Taster Session
- Playing with electronics taster session
- Baroque Woodwind taster sessions (flute, oboe, bassoon)
- Concerts with Fontanella Recorder Quintet, Chris Orton and Birmingham Conservatoire ensembles
- Trade stands with lots of music and instruments, including the Early Music Shop
Please note that closing date for the Solo Competition is Friday 12th September, and for Masterclasses and the Ensembles Festival the closing date is Friday 19th September. Visit the website for information on how to enter.
You can also purchase day and weekend passes, giving access to all events, using the above link. You can also follow us on Twitter @BrumRecFest
Royal Greenwich Early Music Festival and Exhibition
Old Royal Naval College, Greenwich, London SE10 9NN
Thursday 13th – Saturday 15th November 2014
Details on the Festival Website