Call for Scores for the Society of Recorder Players Composers Competition 2019
The Society of Recorder Players is pleased to announce its first bi-annual Composers Competition. Up to four compositions will be short-listed in each category and will be prepared in advance by BLOCK4 and then rehearsed with the composer and performed live in the final round at the National Recorder Festival on 13 April 2019. This will be adjudicated by Jonathan Dove.
There will be two categories:
• Composers Open (any age over 18)
• Young Composers (18 or under on 31st August 2019)
The first prize in each category includes
- a concert performance of the winning compositions at the SRP National Festival
- the promotion of the compositions to relevant groups and organisations
- a high quality recording of the competition performance
- all finalists have the possibility of inclusion in future programming by BLOCK4, even if not chosen as the winning piece
Works must be original compositions, not previously published, written for any combination of recorders for four recorder players. Any additional equipment such as electronics must be provided, set up and engineered by the entrant or someone acting for them.
Pieces should, as a guideline, last between three and six minutes. A candidate may submit more than one work, but each work must be submitted separately.
Please submit the following with each entry
- a score and parts in PDF file format
- a midi or MP3 file if available
- a brief biography of the composer submitting the work with contact email address and phone number
- a PDF of program notes, plus performance history if applicable
- A completed declaration of authenticity
Scores and all associated files should be submitted by 12 noon on 15 December 2018. Finalists will be notified by 15 February 2019. Successful entrants are encouraged to attend the finals in person, and be available to work in an open rehearsal on their composition with BLOCK4, on 13 April 2019, prior to the competition in the afternoon.
Finalists may answer questions beforehand from BLOCK4 regarding technical points and queries within the piece, but must not engage with them in rehearsal outside of the allocated time on April 13.
Entry forms will be available from September 2018 at www.srp.org.uk/composers-competition
The Entry Fee will be £25
If you have any further queries please contact Mary Tyers at
All PDFs, MP3-s and midi files will be deleted within six weeks of the finals unless other arrangements have been agreed with the composer.
A Selection Committee consisting of at least one professional composer/ teacher of composition at tertiary level and a professional recorder player will be appointed. BLOCK4 will also be consulted as part of the final judging.
The Judges’ decision is final.
Finalists will be invited to attend the Festival free of charge, the organisers are currently seeking funding to assist with accommodation and travel expenses.
Submission of sheet music implies the unconditional acceptance of all conditions set here.
The Society of Recorder Players retains the right to document, visually and acoustically, record and reproduce all concerts, performances and presentations held during the course of this competition and subsequent SRP Composers Competitions, for the purpose of documenting and advertising the competition, as long as those recordings are used for non-commercial purposes.